Saturday 28 January 2012

Coursework Ideas

I  have thought about focusing on the use of symbolism and how they create meanings in many ways for the reader, also to show whether the use of symbolism is useful in my chosen text. Taking a critical approach I will show how my text may lack symbolism or how symbolism could be portrayed in a better way.

So far my idea for my Critical coursework text is the Poem of Fra Lippo Lippi. The text studied at AS lit came to mind as it shows the symbolism and importance of art as well as the stability of society. Based on the Florentine Monk living in the 15th century will also enable me to explore theories of Marxism, Functionalism and Feminism which can also help provide explanations for how the poem can be critically analysed. If I do focus on symbolism I could explore should art be realistic and true to life or should it be idealistic and didactic? this thought is highlighted a lot throughout the poem.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it simple. A focus on symbolism will work. It would be likely that a good answer could come out of arguing that examining the poem's symbolism is very useful. You could also consider gender roles in the poem, i.e. notions of masculinity.

    ReplyDelete